Hey RPG Makers!
This update to the Message Control plugin by McKathlin vastly expands the features available for RPG Maker MZ’s Show Text message windows!
New Message Control features:
- Change the Show Text window color!
- Change the Show Text window size (width and number of lines).
- Change the Show Text window text alignment.
- Change the Show Text window position: If the window’s width is less than the size of the screen, the window can be positioned to the left or right side of the screen, or in the center.
- Support for more than 4 lines appearing in the Show Text window!
And of course, word wrap can still be toggled on and off, and works perfectly no matter the size of the window!
You can create your own list of Show Text pre-sets, so that you can easily change the windows throughout your game and maintain a consistent window appearance. You can have as many Show Text pre-sets as you like!
Download Message Control Plugin MZ
How to Install
- Download the file, and unzip it.
- Make sure the unzipped file is named McKathlin_MessageControl.js and is saved as a .js file.
- Open the file folder of your project. Place the file in your project’s “js” folder, within the “plugins” folder.
- Open your project in RPG Maker MZ, then go to the Tools menu and select Plugin Manager. Use the Plugin Manager to add and activate the plugin.
- I recommend you place this plugin toward the bottom of your plugin list, so it has high priority.
Message Control allows changing the Show Text window’s color, width, text alignment, number of lines, and other text settings.
You can make certain messages a different color, depending on what is happening in your game’s story. In this example, the event is using a blue window color at night.
If you want, you can allow the player to select the default style for Show Text message windows. When the default message window style is changed, the setting is remembered within the save file.
In this example, the message window width has been decreased, color has been changed to red, and text aligns to the right side of the window.
In this example, a dim window is used with custom width, 16 lines of text, and alignment centered. Also, the Hard Edge setting is active, so there is not a gradient at the top and bottom of the dim window.
Message Control is perfect for so many types of messages! Here are just a few ways you can use Message Control:
- Centered text for exposition of the story, or for poetry!
- Change the window color depending on who is speaking or the time of day!
- Allow the player to choose the default color of Show Text windows!
There are even all sorts of extra features, such as:
- Adapt the window’s position to top or bottom depending on the location of the event on the screen! This is great for townspeople wandering around a map!
- Allow certain message windows to show text instantaneously! This is great for signs, books, or engravings that you want to appear as if they are always present (instead of gradually appearing like spoken dialogue).
- If you like, you can remove the margin at the edges of windows!
- Choose whether to use word wrap for the help window that displays item descriptions!
- Choose whether to show gradient back panels behind selectable options in menus and choice lists!
Use the Adaptive Positioning option in a pre-set to allow windows on the bottom to automatically re-position themselves to the top (or vice versa) to avoid covering the player or the active event. This is great for townspeople who wander around a map!
Global parameters for McKathlin’s Message Control plugin for RPG Maker MZ, as seen in the Plugin Manager. The default window style can be set here, as well as the window style presets, and other settings.
Using the Plugin Manager, you can create Show Text widow style presets. You can then use the presets from anywhere in your game! This makes it easy to keep a consistent appearance throughout your game.
Each window style has many settings that can be customized! These include window width, line count, color, text alignment, whether to use word wrap, and more!
Each time you want to change the Show Text window style, just use the “Use Preset” plugin command from the McKathlin_MessageControl plugin.
You can even change the default message window style during the game! When the “Save Preset as New Default” plugin command is used, the selected pre-set is remembered as the new default for Show Text windows in the current save file.
Many thanks go to McKathlin for her excellent work in adding so many features and options for RPG Maker MZ’s Show Text windows!
Remember, only you can build your dreams!
Indie Game Designer creating game content!