Greetings RPG Makers!
I’m pleased to present the Message Control plugin by McKathlin, for RPG Maker MZ! This plugin allows you to make adjustments to the messages in Show Text commands! This includes:
- Use word wrap in Show Text dialogue boxes. Word wrap can be easily turned on and off, which is great for spoony bards that spout poetry!
- Adjust the height of text by a set number of pixels.
- Adjust where text sits on the line by a set number of pixels.
- Download the file, and unzip it.
- Make sure the unzipped file is named McKathlin_MessageControl.js and is saved as a .js file.
- Open the file folder of your project. Place the file in your project’s “js” folder, within the “plugins” folder.
- Open your project in RPG Maker MZ, then go to the Tools menu and select Plugin Manager. Use the Plugin Manager to add and activate the plugin.
- I recommend you place this plugin toward the bottom of your plugin list, so it has high priority.
The Message Control plugin help document is included below.
McKathlin Message Control for RPG Maker MZ
v1.1, updated 6/19/2021
We’ve done our best to make Message Control work easily with other plugins regardless of plugin list order, particularly our plugins, as well as any plugins that provide new escape characters.
However, conflicts are possible with other developers’ plugins if they heavily alter Game_Message, Window_Base, Window_Message, or Window_Help.
Turn Word Wrap OFF – Disables word wrap in message windows. When word wrap is off, newlines are honored. This is permanent per save file, until changed by plugin command.
Turn Word Wrap ON – Enables word wrap in message windows. Newlines in editor will be ignored; use
instead. This is permanent per save file, until changed by plugin command.
Text Y Adjust alters where text sits on its line. If you notice the font you’ve chosen sits too high on its line, a positive Text Y Adjust can improve its appearance. Or if the text sits too low, a negative Text Y Adjust can correct it.
Line Height Adjust increases or decreases line height by a given number of pixels. If the text in the font and size you’ve chosen looks cramped, a positive Line Height adjust can give it vertical space. Lines per window will remain the same, so increasing Line Height Adjust makes the message window and other text-holding windows taller. A negative Line Height Adjust makes windows more compact; each contained line takes less vertical space.
When word wrap is turned on, line breaks entered in the editor are ignored, as the message window instead puts line breaks whenever a line is out of space for text.
To make the message window insert a line break in word wrap mode, use the text code
For more help using the Message Control plugin, see Tyruswoo.com.
– Word wrap.
– Text line adjustments.
– Fixed bug where words longer than a whole line of text sometimes caused the game to freeze when word wrap was on.
– Words longer than 1 line now wrap mid-word.
– Added “Word Wrap Width Percent” parameter, which can be adjusted so that word wrap works correctly for your game’s font.
1. You joined Tyruswoo.com as a paying member when you downloaded this plugin. You do not have to remain a paying member to use the plugin you downloaded. However, your support is greatly appreciated, and allows me to continue improving and updating plugins.
2. You agree to not redistribute this plugin. You agree to direct others to Tyruswoo.com if they want the plugin.
3. You may use this for any game for which you are one of the main developers. This includes any commercial or non-commercial game you are creating.
4. Adding “McKathlin and Tyruswoo”, “Tyruswoo Studio”, or “Tyruswoo Team” to your game’s credits is greatly appreciated, but not required.
5. Likewise, listing which Tyruswoo Team plugins you used is appreciated, but not required.
6. A free copy of your game is awesome, but not required.