Tile Control Plugin v1.0 for RPG Maker MZ
Hey RPG Makers!
I’m excited to release to you the Tile Control Plugin for RPG Maker MZ!
This plugin gives you masterful control of the tiles on the game’s map, so you can dynamically change the tiles while the player is playing the game!
You can use the Set Tile plugin command to set a single tile, or use the Fill Tiles plugin command to fill great swaths of tiles at once! And with the Fill Tiles command, you can use various filters to determine which tiles are affected!
Want to make water flow? Use the “creep” feature of the Fill Tiles plugin command!
Download Tile Control Plugin MZ
How to Install
- Download the file, and unzip it.
- Make sure the unzipped file is named Tyruswoo_TileControl.js and is saved as a .js file.
- Open the file folder of your project. Place the file in your project’s “js” folder, within the “plugins” folder.
- Open your project in RPG Maker MZ, then go to the Tools menu and select Plugin Manager. Use the Plugin Manager to add and activate the plugin.
- I recommend you place this plugin toward the bottom of your plugin list, so it has high priority.
- Set Tile: Change the tile ID of a certain tile. For ease of use, you can use a tile code (as described below). Or, you can use an exact tile ID. You can also set X, Y, and Z coordinates at which to set the tile, and whether the coordinates are absolute or relative to an event or the player!
- Fill Tiles: Filters include: Fill by region, swap tiles by tile ID, fill by area, fill by distance, whether fill should be hollow, special conditions for origin tile, and the advanced “creep” feature!
- Change Animation Frames: You can change how quickly tiles animate, even while the player is playing the game! (Great if you have the player inside a “living” or “fleshy” map, like inside a giant creature or toxic jungle! Likewise, useful for horror games!)
- Tile Animation Frames: Determine the default speed at which tiles animate!
- Common Event on OK Press: When the player presses the OK button (Enter), you can call a common event! To make your common event affect tiles, you can use conditional branches, Fill Tiles plugin commands, or the $gameMap.tileCodeAt(x,y,z) script call in a conditional branch.
- Tile Info on OK Press: Useful for playtesting! You can find the tile ID and tile code of any tile. Just start playtesting and press the F12 key to open the console window. Then, move to the location where you want to know the tile IDs of the current tiles on each layer. Then, hold Ctrl and press the OK (Enter) key. Complete tile information, including the tile ID code, will be logged to the console window!
Script calls: (Advanced)
- $gameMap.tileCodeAt(x, y, z): You can use this script to identify the tile ID code at any tile, while the player is playing! Use this to figure out what type of tile the player is on at any time, or to figure out what type of tile an event is on, or to determine the tile code of any other tile!
You can use the above features to make all kinds of games!
Use cases include:
- Make your cutscenes awesome with tiles that change during the cutscene!
- Allow a switch to change the tiles, creating unique and advanced puzzle maps!
- Have secret passages open or close!
- Make changes to your maps depending on how the player chooses to play the game! Have a portcullis open or close, or have a building get ruined, or all sorts of other changes to a map! (This way, you don’t need to duplicate the map and all its events every time you want a change in the map!)
- Make a mining game in which the player can mine all sorts of tiles!
- Make a farming game in which the player can modify all sorts of crops!
- Make water flow!
- Allow a player to place their own furniture in their house!
- Make a fire that burns the ground wherever it goes!
- Make an enemy that can break down certain walls/tiles to reach the player!
Opportunities are endless! How will you use this plugin in your game?
For complete information on plugin commands available with this plugin, see the images and full help text below!
List of plugin commands available with Tile Control.
Example of how to determine the tile ID code. Use the letter of the tab, and the x and y positions of the tile in the tileset. But caution! Determining the tile ID code this way assumes that you have a full tileset, including all A tab tiles, including A1, A2, A3, A4, and A5!
Set Tile plugin command arguments include: Tile ID, X Y Z Coordinates, and Relativity & Options.
Fill Tiles plugin command accepts filters, in addition to arguments for tile ID, X Y Z Coordinate of origin, and Relativity & Options.
For the Tile ID, you can use the Tx,y (“Tab x comma y”) code, or the Tn (“Tab number”) code, or the exact tile ID.
The X and Y coordinates determine where on the map will be affected. The Z coordinate is for the layer affected.
Relativity can be set to Absolute, Relative to Event, or Relative to Player. If relative to player, you can select the Party Member. You can also use this in combination with the Follower Control plugin, if so desired. You can also apply an Orientational Shift, so that relative to the player or event, the affected tile will depend on that character’s direction. Options include whether to Allow Autotiling, and whether to Clear Upper Layers.
Orientational Shift allows you to select a tile in front, behind, or to the side of any character. The character may be the player, a follower, or an event.
The Fill Tiles plugin command has powerful filters. These allow you to determine which tiles are affected by the Fill Tiles command. For example, you can use the Tile ID(s) Filter to swap tiles by tile ID. Or, you can fill a region, or an area, or a distance from the origin. Or, you can apply multiple filters, so tiles are only changed at locations that pass all the filters. Or, make your fill hollow!
Creep is applied after the Fill space is calculated. Creep extends from the Fill space, and may be the same tile as the Fill, or a different tile. Creep is very useful for creating flowing water, lava, or poison, but any tile can be used for creep.
Enjoy the Tile Control plugin! Only you can build your dreams!